Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cutie Petunia!

I attended a gathering that welcomed Hallsey Marsh into our social scene last night. Hallsey is my dearest friend Lucy's 2 month old "little petunia." Lucy was not in favor of the typical baby shower, so instead we all got together last night to love all over her little one.



This gathering got me thinking -- I haven't had the opportunity to plan a baby shower yet, but I would love to. A baby shower is a great excuse to go overboard on color, but I would pick one color and go with it. Too many colors and you are going to look like a crayon box!

Let's just pretend we have a baby boy on the way.....below is what I would want to do! (if you are planning to use these ideas at your next shower, you might need a few hostesses...it ain't cheap).

I like clean simple invitations.....it just looks classy to me!

I LOVE the idea of a seated lunch. There are not many opportunities to get to plan a seated meal for your guests, but this opens the door for the planners to use their imagination. You start with a fun centerpiece and place cards. A beautiful table setting always receives the "wow" from your guests.

Now, the tent and a million tables are not necessary, but all the blue linens really give it a nice touch.

If you do decide on a seated lunch, don't rush it. You need to have a mingling period before lunch begins. Plan your baby shower for 11:00 a.m., offer a fun punch as people arrive and possibly have an activity going on. Do not get me wrong - I am not a fan of the silly baby shower games...pin the tail on the diaper, steal the pacifier from whoever says the word baby.... If you do not know about the games I am talking about, consider yourself lucky!


I am obsessed with beverage canisters. You can buy them at Southeastern Salvage for nothing!


What about having a table designated for all the guests to write words of wisdom for the mother-to-be, or having plain white onesies for people to decorate with fabric pens. The baby might not ever wear the decorated onesies, but they sure would be cute in his baby book or framed in his nursery.

$3.99 at Dharma Trading Co.

Desserts are always fun when you have a theme. You can do a dessert bar like I talked about in my last blog or something as simple as a cute cake!


(Got to love Edgar's in Birmingham! They always get the theme right!)

These cupcakes were served at my favorite wedding A Bryan Photo did, but I would love to serve them at a shower!



Happy Planning!


-NB
Acknowledgments: minted.com; abryanphoto.com; edgar's bakery and in style home

No comments: